Like any activity/sport/exercise protocol CrossFit has some gear that will make to process of a healthy lifestyle a bit easier.
Footwear - A decent pair of CrossFit appropriate shoes is a must have. I know your running shoes are super comfy and they have great "arch support", but they will not help you stay connected to the ground when doing functional movements like squats, deadlifts, etc (we do some form of squat or deadlift everyday). If you have ever tried to climb the rope with your running shoes you probably destroyed them and need a new pair now anyway. I have no stake in any of the major footwear brands, so all the information here is based on my personal opinion/experience.
- The new sponsor of the CrossFit games! Great shoe and a great company. Functional, durable, not fashionable! Great all around shoe and great place to start if you're only buying one pair of shoes.
Reebok Nano - https://www.reebok.com/us
- Decent overall shoe. Built well and stand up to most workouts. Never pay full price, there's always a couple code that will get you at least 30% off (50% is usually the discount around the holidays).
- Every model/year fits a little differently - so be prepared to return them if they don't fit - the online return policy is pretty good.
Nike Metcon - https://www.nike.com/
- Another decent shoe. These typically are a bit wider and flatter. Never on sale, and pretty expensive ($130ish).
No Bull - https://www.nobullproject.com/
- The new sponsor of CrossFit. These shoes are great for about 2 months. They come in a ton of cool designs, but my experience with them has been lackluster as they started to fall apart 6 weeks after buying them (for $140+). Disclaimer - I'm rough on shoes.
A few more key items to have if you're going to make CrossFit a regular part of your life: